Going on a vacation should be a fun and relaxing experience, however, it can leave some people with anxiety about what could potentially happen to their house when they are away. Just because you go on vacation does not mean burglars do.
AAA offers 5 tips to keep you stress free and to keep your home safe while you travel:
- Hold deliveries and trash - Stop mail delivery by filling out a form at the post office or online at www.usps.com. Call the newspaper and ask for a vacation hold.
- Do not change your answering machine or voice mail - A message that tells when you are returning lets everyone who calls know that you are out of town.
- Put lights on timers - Install randomized timers for your front outside lights and motion detectors for lights in the back.
- Lock all doors, windows and the garage - It is estimated that nearly one-third of all burglars enter through an unlocked door or window. Be sure to check that all doors and windows including those leading into your house through the garage and windows in the basement to ensure they are secure before you leave.
- Let someone else know of your plans - Ask a nearby family member or trusted neighbor to look out for your house.