As you bring your boat out of your garage and take it out on the water, it is important to make sure that your boat is properly insured. If your boat is damaged in a collision, fire or storm or your boat is stolen, you are on the hook for the repair and replacement costs unless you have the right coverage.
Boat insurance options widely vary. It is important to make sure that the coverage you select fits your needs. Here are a few of the different types of coverage you can purchase for your boat this year:
- Liability Coverage: This protects you if your boat causes damage to other boats or structures. You can be held responsible for both damage caused via direct contact and by situations caused by your boat, such as large wakes.
- Physical Damage: This acts like full coverage insurance on a car. It will cover any qualifying event that damages your boat, such as collision, fire, storms and theft.
- Medical Payments: This will help you pay for any medical bills incurred because of a boating accident.
- Trailer Coverage: Not all boat insurance policies also cover your trailer. However, you can generally add this provision onto your insurance.
- Wreck Removal: If your boat crashes in a river or a lake, it can be expensive to remove the wreckage. Having a wreck removal provision will save you from having to pay for wreck removal yourself.
- Towing and Assistance: It is possible to add on towing assistance for your boat and trailer. If your trailer breaks down while you are out with your boat, you'll be able to get immediate assistance. If a part breaks and your boat motor no longer works while you are on the water, you will also be covered.
Talk to your independent agent about the type of boat insurance and provisions you may need. Make sure you have all the protection you need before you set off on the water.
Stay safe on the water. Call Lancette Agency at (651) 264-1230 for more information on Minneapolis boat insurance.