Summer is motorcycle riding season, especially on those older, winding roads in the country. But it is also bike theft season. Less than 30 percent of stolen motorcycles are ever recovered. Here are a few suggestions to help your motorcycle customer prevent a theft.
Remember that American Modern offers replacement cost coverage on bikes 2 model years and newer. And that coverage remains in effect even after the bike passes its second birthday. Plus, travel loss reimbursement, including emergency towing and trip interruption, can be added when comprehensive and collision coverages are purchased. Call us to discuss your motorcycle insurance options at (651) 264-1230.
- Park where it can be seen. Whether stopping for lunch or for the night, park the bike where you can keep an eye on it, under as much light as possible. Look for security camera coverage, too.
- Lock it up. Use multiple layers of locking. A physical lock on either the brakes or wheels will immobilize the bike, and take an extra step and connect it to something immobile such as a street lamp. Lock the ignition, too. Even if stored inside, don't leave the key in the ignition.
- Choose where to park the trailer. If transporting a bike on a trailer, back it up against a wall, post, or even shrubs to make it harder for a would-be thief to roll the bike down the trailer ramp.
- Take photos. If there is a theft, photos will help with the recovery and identification, as well as the insurance claim. Be sure to photograph the accessories.
- Keep important documents. Proof of insurance, license, and title should stay with the driver, not the bike. Keep copies at home, too.