With so many families trying to save money this summer the family car will be getting a workout. Personal vehicles are a less expensive form of summer vacation travel transportation, but if you want to keep your family safe and avoid a breakdown when you take your car on a vacation there are some maintenance steps that you should keep in mind.
- Get a tune up. By taking your car in to your mechanic for a tune up they can change the oil and filters, check the radiator, rotate the tires and do all those little things that need to be done before you expose your car to long drives in the heat of the summer.
- Get new windshield wipers. Summer storms can sneak up on you. Old, cracked windshield wipers will not clean your windshield enough to clear your vision and allow you to drive safely. Get new wipers if yours are not in top condition.
- Check all your seatbelts and anti-theft devices. To keep your family and car safe, make sure you double check all your safety belts for springiness and response to a sharp tug. Also, make sure that the click firmly when you fasten them. Finally, check your alarms and other anti-theft devices for loose wiring.
- Inflate your tires. Gas gets more expensive every day. By inflating your tires, you will use less gas on your vacation and save money for things like t-shirts and souvenirs. In addition, it will help keep your car better protected against driving damage.
- Get your insurance papers together. The more you drive your car, the greater your chance of an accident. Put a copy of your car insurance policy in your glove compartment so that you can access it in a hurry. Also, if your cell phone does not have camera capabilities, make sure you put a disposable camera in the glove compartment too so you can take pictures at the scene of any accidents.
By paying attention to these details before leaving for vacation, not only will you keep your family and your car safe, you will also reduce the likelihood of an insurance claim. This will save you money all around and make sure that your trip is exactly as fun as a vacation is supposed to be.