High fuel prices are an unpleasant fact of life for today's boaters. But taking these six actions conserves fuel without diminishing fun on the water.
- Tune the engine. Change the oil and spark plugs regularly to ensure top performance.
- Fresh fuel is always best. Old fuel that has been sloshing around in the tank for months can hurt engine performance.
- Clean the hull. Scale and growths undermine the boat's ability to glide through the water, which means the engines burn more fuel.
- Lighten the load. The more weight the boat carries, the harder the engines work.
- Check the propellers. Nicks and dents not only rob fuel mileage, they also increase engine wear through excessive vibrations.
- Plan ahead. Use up-to-date charts and other navigation aids to get from point A to point B as efficiently as possible, and to maintain correct cruising speed and trim angles.
Veteran boaters likely already learned these lessons, but please share these tips with new boaters who may not take these things into account.
Enter the Best Boat Name Contest
So what are your plans for the summer? Staying home with family and friends, firing up the grill and relaxing? Or will you be out on the water at your favorite boating spot?
Boating is gaining speed as THE favorite summer pastime for many people. That's why American Modern is holding a contest where you or your customers could win $200, $150 or $100 in Overton's gift cards...and have some fun in the process. All you have to do is be on the lookout for a silly, clever, romantic or whacky boat name, snap a picture of it and then submit it to the American Modern Insurance Facebook page. The three names that get the most votes will be our prize winners. Make sure you vote!
So then, ahoy matey! Batten down the hatches and upload those pictures by August 20.