Preheader Home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

You've got a lot to check off of your list for your summer vacation. You need to check on camp ground reservations, get everything packed and convince your kids that they're not going to die without Internet access. There's one additional thing that you don't want to forget: proper insurance for your recreational vehicle. You need to know whether you are required to insure your camper and the type of insurance you should pick up for it. 

What You Don't Need to Insure

You aren't required to insure any camper that cannot move under its own power. For example, fifth wheel campers, trailer campers, and pop up campers do not need insurance. Your automobile's liability coverage handles any accidents or damage involving these types of campers. If you need additional coverage, many insurance companies offer additional insurance for towed recreational vehicles. 

What You Do Need to Insure

A camper van or recreational vehicle that can be driven on its own needs insurance, just like a regular automobile. You also have some exceptions to the towable recreational vehicles exception. If your RV is towed, but it is financed, the lender requires you to carry insurance on the vehicle. 

What Type of Insurance to Look For

If you're renting a recreational vehicle, your existing Minneapolis auto insurance potentially covers the RV. Read through your insurance policy to see whether it covers rental vehicles or not. If not, you can pay for rental insurance through the RV rental business. 

A camping van or motor home can be covered under a normal automobile policy, but specialized RV insurance options exist for a reason. You have camping gear, personal belongings and many other pieces of property in a RV that you probably want covered. You also have the option of living in the RV full time for a season or year-round. When you use a RV on a seasonal basis, you want the option to lower coverage while it's being stored. A specialized RV insurance policy combines the best parts of a homeowner policy and automobile insurance to cover every RV need.

For more information about RV insurance, give Lancette Agency a call at 651-264-1230.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
  • Auto Owners Insurance
  • AAA
  • Selective Insurance
  • West Bend Insurance
  • Progressive Insurance
  • Dairyland Insurance
Local: (651) 264-1230|Fax: (651) 264-1233 1322 Helmo Ave N|St Paul, MN 55128
Home|Our Products|Customer Service|Payment Options|Report a Claim
About Us|Our Carriers|Contact Us
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Powered By Insurance Website Builder