Preheader Home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

More and more people are starting businesses operated from their homes. Often there is some confusion regarding the types of business insurance needed to adequately protect business property in your home. It is important to have a clear understanding about insurance for your home business.

Your Homeowners Policy May Not Offer Adequate Protection

Usually, one of the first questions asked on a homeowner's insurance application is, "Do you operate a business from your home?" The reason for this question is that many insurers will not provide coverage for business operations. Some insurers offer limited coverage and may even offer a home business endorsement to your homeowner's policy. In either case, the coverage probably won't be adequate.

Probably the greatest risk of loss for a home business is liability for personal injury. Should the UPS man or a client fall on your property while conducting business, do you have enough liability insurance to pay expensive medical bills, loss of wages and other expenses that may be involved?

Your Home Policy or Business Owners Policy Will Not Cover Professional Service Errors

If you provide accounting, insurance or other professional services from your home, you need a professional liability insurance policy. This is sometimes referred to as errors and omissions insurance. You are responsible for the service and advice you give to your clients. General liability insurance, or even a home business endorsement, will not protect you if you make a mistake and are sued.

If You Use Your Vehicle in Business, You Need Commercial Auto Insurance

Even though you may have an auto policy that provides insurance coverage for very small businesses, it is probably not enough. If you transport goods or people, you need higher liability limits provided in a commercial auto policy. You should check with your agent to make sure you have the right insurance for any vehicle used in your business.

Even if Your Business Consists of Online Sales, You Need Business Insurance

Even with a home business endorsement to your homeowners policy, it will probably not provide adequate coverage to replace expensive computers, monitors, fax machines, printers and other office equipment. If your e-commerce site slows down or is completely crippled by a virus or hacker, you will lose valuable income. An endorsement to a business policy can offer coverage for the loss of income and any extra expenses involved.

Many home business owners just don't bother with insurance. The lack of proper coverage could shut down your business and even cripple your own personal finances. Talk with your agent and make sure you have the right insurance for your individual business needs.

Protect your livelihood, wherever it's located. Call Lancette Agency at (651) 264-1230 for more information on Minneapolis business insurance.

Posted 5:11 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
  • Auto Owners Insurance
  • AAA
  • Selective Insurance
  • West Bend Insurance
  • Progressive Insurance
  • Dairyland Insurance
Local: (651) 264-1230|Fax: (651) 264-1233 1322 Helmo Ave N|St Paul, MN 55128
Home|Our Products|Customer Service|Payment Options|Report a Claim
About Us|Our Carriers|Contact Us
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Powered By Insurance Website Builder