Preheader Home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Flooding DamageFlood insurance can be a complicated subject. First, floods come in two types: low intensity and high intensity. Low intensity flooding might be covered by homeowners insurance, but high intensity will need separate coverage. Do you know what your insurance covers?

Low Intensity Floods

Leaking pipes or flooding from a failed bathroom fixture are considered low intensity. They can damage your internal walls, ceilings, carpets and furniture. The good news is that homeowners insurance policies may cover this type of damage. It makes sense to check that your particular policy does provide coverage.

Sewer back-ups create havoc of a different order. Many sewer systems have pumping stations which keep the flow moving. If a lightning strike, for example, knocks out a pump station and the flow stops, people will still flush toilets, bathe, use washing machines and dishwashers in a home. Eventually pressure and gravity can result in the sewer backing up through the toilets and drains into people's homes. It's a good idea to find out if your policy covers you for this type of damage.

High Intensity Flooding

High intensity flooding is caused by storms, rapid snow melt and other acts of nature. This type of flooding is not covered by standard home insurance. You need a specific flood insurance policy for protection.

High wind might blow rain under your front door for hours during a storm. Gallons of water entering your property will cause damage just like a leaking pipe. However, the claim would fall under flood insurance.

High winds, storm surge and rivers that break their banks often cause severe damage. Homes almost anywhere can be affected by a high intensity flood and only a specific flood policy provides you with the right level of protection.

Qualities Of A Good Flood Insurance Policy

A good flood policy covers damaged furniture, carpets and other belongings. It should cover the expense of walls being dried out and repaired, redecorating and other expenses including temporary housing (when necessary).

Speak with your independent insurance agent so you know if you are covered and what else you might need to do to ensure your home's protection.

We'll help protect your home. Call Lancette Agency, LLC at (651) 264-1230 for more information on Minneapolis flood insurance.
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
  • Auto Owners Insurance
  • AAA
  • Selective Insurance
  • West Bend Insurance
  • Progressive Insurance
  • Dairyland Insurance
Local: (651) 264-1230|Fax: (651) 264-1233 1322 Helmo Ave N|St Paul, MN 55128
Home|Our Products|Customer Service|Payment Options|Report a Claim
About Us|Our Carriers|Contact Us
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Powered By Insurance Website Builder